Outfits & props for a photoshoot – ideas and inspiration
There is a good thing about booking a professional model – those models have plenty of outfits from fashion, sexy style up to variety of lingerie and heels ready for a shoot. This is a big advantage – even though some photographers might disagree as those outfits have been shot and seen many times and nothing “original” comes from those – I think there is no issue to shoot with same stuff as, really, every photo is different. But what if you want to try something “unseen”?
First of all, you can either:
- Ask your model what is she bringing
- simply texting a model asking what is she planning to bring is the simplest thing and you might ask her to share some photos of outfits. If you have something particular in mind, ask her as soon as possible, especially in case she travels to your destination by plane or car so she can add it into her suitcase.
! Please consider if you really need to use a winter coat or super long heavy boots or similar unpackable stuff if you know model is travelling by plane- as 99,9% the answer will be no. (Unless you gonna shoot in Moscow or Siberia in the middle of winter, then she can put it on straight without paying $$$ for extra luggage.)
If you really need those things, or anything else for your idea, then:
2. Get your own outfits for a shoot
- It is becoming more and more common that photographers have their own outfits ready for photoshoot. Below I will add some great inspiring brands which cannot disappoint as they look awesome on anyone. If you get some outfits for models, you can either keep it for your next shoot (as mentioned above, every model and every photo will look different anyway) or you can give it to your model after the shoot if she would wear those. Also bear in mind if you order outfits from China, that for – especially caucasian models- you need at least twice the size than their normal as the sizes can be really tricky.
! I also notice, there are still some photographers out there (even though very very few) who don’t wash the clothes after the shoot. Please ALWAYS wash clothes after the shoot as it is pretty weird and disgusting – not to mention that models will look at the photographer who does this as he is weird and disgusting either, which will definitely crash the whole mood on shoot.
And what about props?
There is a small list of great props you can bring to your photoshoot; of course it changes when shooting outside or in studio/apartment.
- Sunglasses – perfect for outdoor shoot, will help model to shoot on direct sun without crying and also can change the mood of photos; models usually have one ready.
- Hats – same goes with hats – some summer ones for outside sunny shoots as well as “old fashioned” ones to give another perspective to your idea.
- Jewellery or headbands – from great “halo crowns” up to simple flower headband or big necklace – models love those as it makes them feel they are doing something beautiful and worth of all hard work.
- Stockings and tights – not so difficult to keep them clean and really portable. In case inspiration strikes while shoot, there is never a bad time to put on a pair of stockings with lingerie to add deeper boudoir feeling.
- Book – might sound odd, but simple book can make whole new level to your photos simply by adding a storytelling mood. Model can pretend to read, cover with that, play with the book around.
- Red lipstick – pretty seriously, there was countless situations when photographer ask me if I have one on the shoot and I had not (especially when shooting outdoor when model brings a backpack or small bag with previously agreed outfits). You might forget to tell your model in advance – so be ready and have one in your pocket 🙂
Ideas for outfits – lingerie, props & sexy and dreamy outfits
1. Andi Bagus – bikini, crochet pieces and clothing
– handmade clothes brand from Bali; bit more expensive but amazing looking stuff, especially for outdoor shoots -their jumpers, crop tops and shorts look really awesome.
2. Honey Birdette – exclusive lingerie
- the fanciest lingerie I have ever seen – really that kind of luxury one.
3. Victorian Choice – victorian dresses (something storytelling and moody)
- really proper and lovely victorian dresses with perfect quality – you can also find a dresses from Alice in Wonderland, Tudor Renaissance to gothic and Game of Thrones kind of dress. I love this shop btw. 🙂
4. Carbickova Bijoux – stunning jewellery and props
- absolutely amazing jewellery and headbands. As it can go far away from you budget, you can get some inspiration just by checking those stuff as every thing looks like masterpiece.
- well, you probably know eBay, but when searching “lingerie”, you might find really similar outfits as those above – the quality is questionable though, but either way it might look awesome on the shoot. You can also find discounted pieces from Victoria’s Secret, which is anyway worth checking.